Summer Reading and Project Lists
for the 2017 - 2018 School Year
Summer reading provides students with an opportunity to activate their academic skills and become a launch pad for critical thinking at the beginning of the school year. It is our hope that you will make reading a part of your family's summer! It is not just about keeping up with the skill of decoding, but it is to continue to work with the meanings and ideas that authors have offered to us and to grow in our ability to articulate our own thoughts and ideas. Our thinking and writing cannot mature without growth in our language.
Some ideas to help things go smoothly:
- Have a set time each day for reading.
- Choose the topic of highest interest for your child.
- Have thoughtful questions ready to spur discussions about the book.
- Read portions of the book with them.
- Visit the library to explore books of interest.
Please see the lists below for the reading requirements and projects lists for all students in grades kindergarten through fifth.